Monday, January 18, 2010

Key Lime Pie

The first time I made key lime pie was about 8 years ago. After I finished making it I declared I would never make it again. Not because it tasted bad, but because zesting and juicing those tiny limes is super annoying.

Luckily about 3 years ago one of my roommates convinced me to try making it again, saying that she would juice the limes for me. As it turns out key lime pie is the extremely easy to make if someone else squeezes the limes for you. You can sometimes find bottles of key lime juice at the store, but fresh is best! In fact after making it with fresh key lime juice 3 years ago, I was reminded how great key lime pie can be. And since that day I always feel motivated enough to squeeze the limes myself.

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Key Lime Juice
About 1 TBSP Key Lime Zest
4 Large Egg Yolks
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 ounces)
1 9 inch Pie Crust

What to Do:
Preheat oven to 325



Zest a few key limes. I made this pie at my sister's house, and she did not have a zesting utensil, so I tried to take of just the yellowish green part of the peel with a knife. That's the part with the delicious oil. The white part of the peel just tastes bitter, so you try to avoid it. Anyways, you'll notice in my pictures that the peel is in kind of big pieces. It won't be like that if you use a grater or zester.



Juice the key limes, or force someone else to. I think it takes about 15 limes. Or if you don't have key limes, you can use about 3 normal limes in stead. I usually roll the lime a little on cutting board to get the juices out a little. Then I cut them in half and squeeze with my bare hands. You will become aware of any small cuts on your hands (hopefully you had no zesting accidents earlier!!). Key limes have more seeds than normal limes, so I ignore the seeds and just strain the juice later.

Separate the yolks out of the eggs, and put them into a mixing bowl. I actually used 5 egg yolks because I was using medium eggs instead of large. Some people like to put meringue on their pie, and if you are one of them, save the whites. Otherwise, eggs don't cost that much, just throw them out. Although if you are thrifty you can make yourself an egg white omelet tomorrow morning.



Whisk together egg yolks and zest. This is the only thing that's really going to give your pie color, so you might want to whisk for a minute or two to see if you can get the peel to release some color.

Stir in the can of sweetened condensed milk into the eggs. Back in the day, people in Florida (home of the Florida Keys) did not have air conditioning or refrigerators, so they used the less perishable sweetened condensed milk.


Add in the lime juice. Make sure you don't have any seeds in it by pouring it through a sieve. The lime juice will react with the milk and cause the filling to thicken. If you're not afraid of raw eggs, you actually don't need to cook the pie.




Pour the filling into your precooked pie crust. I can't lie, today I was lazy and just bought a shortbread pie crust from the store.

Bake the pie for 15 minutes. A lot of times you can use your nose to tell when things are finished baking, but you can also tell it's done when the pie looks set. Take it out of the oven, and let it cool to room temperature. Then put it in the fridge for a couple hours. It will taste delicious!



You will probably notice your pie is not green. Key limes are not green! Their juice is yellow, and a lot of times the peel is also very yellowy. But if you like green, feel free to add a little food coloring.

1 comment:

  1. Finally, a recipe from the Toledo chapter of TFK!

    I am going to have to try your lime rolling and then squeezing technique. I have been cutting them in half and then cutting up the pulp a bit w/ a small knife to try to maximize juicing efficiency. It is a pain. I have also heard it is OK to just chuck em all in a food processor and just strain out the gunk. I'd think you'd get a bunch of bitter rind that way though.

    ReplyDelete